- 2 gallons water
- 1/4 pound tamarind pods, husked, strings removed
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 10 Jamaica flowers (or 1/4 cup leaves)
- 3 sticks sugar cane (or half a 16-ounce can with syrup)
- 2-1/2 cups Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 8 ounces fresh tejocotes (or canned with syrup)
- 5 sliced guavas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 oranges, sliced
- 2 apples cored and sliced
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, sliced
- Granulated sugar to taste
HEAT water, tamarind, cinnamon, Jamaica and sugar in a large saucepan. Boil 30 minutes until fragrant. If desired, use a slotted spoon to remove cinnamon sticks, Jamaica and sugar canes.
ADD raisins, tejocotes, guavas, oranges, apples, pineapple and sugar to taste. Simmer until fruit is soft.
Makes about 2 gallons.