Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Dried Cherry BBQ Sauce
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Grill: 17 to 21 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 5-ounce package Sun-Maid Tart Cherries
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, shucked
- 1 5-ounce package mixed baby greens
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups yellow and /or red grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted almonds, chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until softened and fragrant.
2. Add tart cherries, tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and the cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Puree sauce with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth. Divide in half and set aside.
4. Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. On a covered grill, place steak on the grill rack over medium heat and brush with half of one portion of the reserved sauce. Add corn to the grill. Cover and grill 17 to 21 minutes or until steak is desired doneness (160°F for medium) and corn is just tender. Turn steak and corn once halfway through grilling and brush steak with remaining half-portion of sauce. Thinly slice steak against the grain. Cut corn from the cobs.
5. To serve, divide greens among four plates. Place corn, avocado, and tomatoes over top. Top salads with sliced steak and drizzle with reserved Dried Cherry BBQ Sauce and almonds.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 595 cal., 25 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 70 mg chol., 859 mg sodium, 64 g carb., 9 g fiber, 40 g sugar, 32 g pro.