Autumn Apple Pie
Dried fruit and almonds add a fall twist on traditional apple pie.
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples (Fuji or Golden Delicious), cored, quartered, thinly sliced (1/8-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Dried Halves or Mediterranean Apricots chopped
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
- 1/4 cup Sun-Maid Tart Cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- whipped cream, optional
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
PROCESS almonds and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in food processor until finely ground.
ADD butter, eggs and flour.
PROCESS until smooth.
COMBINE apples, apricots, golden raisins, cherries, cinnamon and nutmeg.
ARRANGE fruit in pie crust, placing apples as flat as possible.
SPREAD almond mixture evenly over fruit.
SPRINKLE top with 1 tablespoon sugar.
BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes until top is golden brown and center feels set.
COOL at least 30 minutes before slicing.
SERVE warm or room temperature with whipped cream.
COVER and refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 460; Protein 7g; Fat 22g (Sat. Fat 9g); Carbohydrate 60g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 190mg