What makes this salad golden? Sweet-tangy golden raisins and summer fruits – peaches, nectarines, mango, strawberries, with a zing of crystallized ginger. The golden raisins are mini hits of natural sweetness in this mélange of golden sunset hues.
A touch of lime juice and honey makes a luscious glistening fruit salad, or fresh and tangy ice cream sundae topping. Alternatively, serve with plain yogurt, a dollop of crème fraiche, or over hot oatmeal. The ginger and raisins hint of chutney flavors, so try it over hot curry too!
You may be surprised to know golden raisins, (sultanas if you’re in England), are the same grape variety as natural dark raisins. On the vine, both grapes are a golden-greenish color; the difference is in processing. Golden raisins are treated with sulfur dioxide to retain the bright golden color, then dried indoors in dehydrators instead of the sunshine. Golden raisins have the same natural sugars, fiber and potassium that rate a ‘sweet spot’ in a healthy diet.
For the salad, slice the fruit in bite-size pieces. For the sundae topping (or chutney), dice the fruit about the size of raisins so pieces spill over the scoop of ice cream and several fruits are in each bite. Have fun with your choice of fruits and the versatility of Golden Fruit Salad!
GOLDEN FRUIT SALAD OR CHUTNEY (TOPPING)
Makes 8 servings, about 1/2 cup each
- 8 ounces combination of sliced or diced peach, mango, nectarine, apricots, strawberries
- ½ cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
- 2-3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Place the fruit and golden raisins in a bowl. There should be about 3-1/2 cups sliced or 1-3/4 cups diced fresh fruit.
- Add crystallized ginger.
- Stir lime juice and honey in a small bowl until honey dissolves.
- Drizzle over fruit; stir gently. Let stand 10-30 minutes for fruit to lightly macerate and become saucy.
- Serving suggestions: over vanilla ice cream; with plain yogurt or cream fraiche; over hot oatmeal; as a condiment with hot curries.
Per Serving: 60 calories, 0 g fat (0 g fat, 0 sat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 0 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 10 g sugars