Wheat Berry Salad with Dried Cranberries and Apricots
Toasted walnut oil complements the nuttiness of cooked wheat berries in this colorful dried fruit and grain salad.
Cook time: 1 hour
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup wheat berries, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15-ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup slivered fresh snow peas
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid California Apricots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Cape Cod Cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons toasted walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
COOK wheat berries in a large saucepan with 3 cups water and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
BRING to a boil.
COVER, reduce heat and simmer 45 to 60 minutes until tender.
DRAIN any remaining water.
COMBINE cooked wheat berries, garbanzo beans, snow peas, apricots, cranberries and green onion in a medium bowl.
WHISK oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
POUR over wheat berry mixture and stir to coat.
SERVE room temperature or refrigerate up to 3 days.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 260; Protein 7g; Fat 7g (Sat. Fat .5g); Carbohydrate 42g; Dietary Fiber 7g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 150mg