Warm Spinach Salad with Dried Figs and Feta
Dried figs are a sweet addition to the warm dressing and feta cheese in this easy and quick salad.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (about 10) Sun-Maid Calimyrna Figs or Mission Figs, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry or cider vinegar
- 8 cups (6-ounces) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts
- Cracked black pepper
In a medium skillet or saucepan over medium heat, SAUTE onion in olive oil for 2 minutes or until softened.
STIR in figs, brown sugar and sherry or vinegar.
SIMMER 30 seconds, stirring until figs are coated.
In a large bowl, TOSS spinach and warm fig dressing.
SERVE immediately sprinkled with feta and nuts.
SEASON with black pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 210; Protein 4g; Fat 12g (Sat. Fat 2.5g); Carbohydrate 22g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 140mg