Tart Cherry and Almond Muffins
Sweet almond paste turns this simple muffin into an elegant sweet pastry.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid Tart Cherries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 package (7-ounces) almond paste, crumbled (microwave briefly if dry)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Butter or paper-line 10 muffin cups.
COMBINE cherries and orange juice in a microwave-safe container. Microwave on high power 1 minute; stir and set aside.
MIX flour, sugar and baking powder in a small bowl.
BEAT almond paste and butter with an electric mixer until nearly smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
STIR in cherry mixture and orange zest. Add flour mixture and stir just until blended. Divide batter between prepared muffin cups.
BAKE until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Makes 10 muffins.