Sunny Whole Wheat Currant Scones
Talk about a power breakfast. These scones are a high source of manganese, an antioxidant that also helps produce insulin, and folate, a B vitamin that helps fight anemia. Their hearty texture is great with a cup of tea.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Zante Currants
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons egg white
HEAT oven to 375ÂºF.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 183; Protein 3.4g; Fat 6.2g (Sat. Fat 3.8g); Carbohydrate 29g; Dietary Fiber 2.4g; Cholesterol 16 mg; Sodium 293mg