Spicy Raisin and Broccoli Salad
In 2016, sixty members of the International Nut and Dried Fruit Congress (INC) visited Sun-Maid as part of the California Nut and Dried Fruit tour, inspiring this recipe.
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 ounces bacon, about 3 slices thick-cut or 5 slices thin-cut
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups small broccoli florets, about one 12-oz bag florets, trimmed
- 1/3 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
CUT bacon crosswise into thin strips. Cook in a skillet until crisp; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Discard fat or reserve for another use.
COMBINE next 7 ingredients (rice vinegar thru cayenne) in a large bowl. Whisk to thoroughly blend. Salt to taste.
ADD broccoli and raisins to the bowl with dressing and stir well to combine. Chill 1 hour for flavors to blend.
STIR in sunflower seeds and bacon just before serving.
Note: If less crunchy broccoli is desired, cook broccoli florets for 30 seconds in boiling water; drain and cool immediately in ice water. Drain well and pat dry before adding to dressing.
Per Serving: 260 calories, 14.7 g fat (3.1 g fat, sat), 16.2 mg cholesterol, 9.1 g protein, 25.6 g carbohydrate, 938.9 mg sodium, 3.1 g fiber