Seared Scallops and Raisin Bacon Jam on a bed of Saffron Risotto
Time: 30-45 mins.
- 12 oz. bacon
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. cocoa
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- 4 1/2 cups well-seasoned fish stock, hot
- 2 tsp. butter
- 12 scallops
Raisin Bacon Jam
For Raisin Bacon Jam
- In a small pot, cook the bacon until done but not too crispy. Remove from pan and set aside. Drain all but 1 Tbsp. of grease.
- Add onions and cook uncovered over med-low heat 10 mins. Stir often.
- Add brown sugar, allspice, cocoa, raisins, and cayenne pepper. Cook covered on low for 10 mins.
- Add garlic and cook another 5 mins. covered.
- Add apple juice, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 30 mins. covered on med-low.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place bacon jam in a food processor. Pulse on low for 20 secs.
- Before searing scallops, pat them dry.
- In a skillet, sear scallops with butter for 2 mins. per side until they brown and split.
- Plate warm scallops. Top with warm bacon jam.
- Serve over risotto.
For Saffron Risotto
- Put saffron in a small dish and add 1 cup of stock. Set aside.
- Heat butter in 3 qt. saucepan. Add onion and sauté over med. heat until translucent.
- Stir in rice and cook until grains turn white. Add wine and cook, stirring, for 5 mins. ‘til wine evaporates.
- Stir in ½ cup of stock and cook on low. Once evaporated, add saffron stock from earlier. Stir frequently.
- Keep adding stock, (½ cup at a time) stirring frequently, until rice is slightly tender. You might not use all the stock.
- Keep cooking, stirring gently, for 3-5 mins. ‘til rice is al dente. Add some stock if necessary. Season with salt. Serve.