Savory Fruit Stuffing
- 4 to 6 slices bacon (about 3-oz.)
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup Sun-Maid California Peaches, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Chopped Dates
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 (4 to 5 lb.) roasting chicken (if desired)
COOK bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towel; crumble. Reserve drippings in skillet.
SAUTE green onions and pepper in drippings until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.
ADD stuffing mix, bacon, peaches, dates and egg to onion mixture. Stir in 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups water to make a lightly moistened mixture.
If desired, SPOON some of the stuffing into the chicken; close with skewers or tie with string. Roast chicken at 350 F for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 175 F.
Alternative: SPOON stuffing into a lightly greased baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 360; Protein 7g; Fat 11g (Sat. Fat 3g); Carbohydrate 58g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 860mg