Rice Pilaf with Dried Apricots and Dates
In 2016, sixty members of the International Nut and Dried Fruit Congress (INC) visited Sun-Maid as part of the California Nut and Dried Fruit tour, inspiring this recipe.
Makes about 6 cups rice, 6-8 servings
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil or ghee
- One 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock or part water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid California Apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Chopped Dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
RINSE rice in a colander and drain well.
HEAT oil in a large saucepan until hot. Add cinnamon stick and let sizzle for 10 seconds. Add onion and cook until just beginning to brown.
ADD rice; stir to coat with oil.
ADD vegetable stock or water and salt. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
REMOVE cinnamon stick. Stir in apricots, dates and butter. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 230 calories, 6.2 g fat (2.7 g fat, sat), 10.2 mg cholesterol, 2.8 g protein, 42.2 g carbohydrate, 777.5 mg sodium, 2.5 g fiber