Quick Chicken and Rice with Dates
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-3/4 cup (15-ounce can) regular or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups quick-cooking (10 minutes) brown rice
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Chopped Dates
- 1/3 cup Sun-Maid California Apricots, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
BLEND cumin, ginger, salt and cayenne in small bowl.
SPRINKLE evenly on both sides of chicken breasts.
HEAT olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown chicken 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
REMOVE chicken from pan and set aside. Let pan cool 1 minute.
ADD broth, water and rice to pan. Bring to a simmer on high heat. Return chicken to pan, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes.
STIR dates, apricots and green onion into rice and around chicken.
COVER and simmer 5 more minutes.
STIR. Let stand covered 3 minutes before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 510; Protein 38g; Fat 9g (Sat. Fat 2g); Carbohydrate 68g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 85mg; Sodium 720mg