Plank Grilled Salmon with Chipotle-Mustard Raisin Sauce
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cedar grilling plank (15 x 6, 1/2 x 3/8 inch)*
- 1 2-pound fresh or frozen salmon fillet with skin
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 chopped fresh chives
1. In enough water to cover, soak plank for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Thaw salmon, if frozen. Rinse; pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a small saucepan bring raisins and water to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drain raisins, reserving 1/2 cup of the water. Transfer raisins and reserved water to a food processor or a high-speed blender. Process or blend until smooth; set aside.
4. In a large saucepan cook onion in 1 tablespoon hot oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute more.
5. Add pureed raisins, remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, chipotle peppers, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Remove 2/3 cup of the sauce mixture; set remaining sauce aside.
6. Drain plank and place on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until plank begins to crackle and smoke.
7. Brush the flesh side of the salmon with 1/3 cup of the removed sauce. Place salmon, skin side down, on plank. Cover and grill 18 to 22 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, brushing with the remaining 1/3 cup of the removed sauce halfway through grilling.
8. To serve, drizzle salmon with remaining sauce. Garnish with chives.
*Look for a grill plank in the grilling supplies section of hardware and home supply stores.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 401 cal., 21 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 83 mg chol., 238 mg sodium, 23 g carb., 1 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 31 g protein Daily Values: 3% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 3% calcium, 10% iron