Lamb Pitas with Balsamic-Infused Raisins
- 2 Tbsp. ground annatto seed
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (white or cider)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon or lime zest
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotles
- 1 lb. lamb stew meat, (2 inch pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 pitas
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar warmed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE STOVE TOP
Mix marinade items into a paste. Rub into lamb. Marinate for 8 hrs.
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a pan and sear the lamb. Add onions and sauté.
Blend veggie broth and chipotles. Add this and bay leaves to the lamb pan.
Boil then cover. Cook on low for 60 mins.
Uncover and cook until liquid reduces to a sauce and lamb is tender (30 mins.) Then shred lamb with a fork.
While lamb cooks, put raisins and balsamic in small saucepan. Simmer until raisins plump and vinegar reduces halfway.
Remove raisins. Set aside with other toppings.
Heat pitas in a pan with a little oil. Add meat and toppings.