Kale, Raisins and Sausage Bread Stuffing
- 12 ounces uncooked spicy or sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil as needed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 2 cups packed, thinly sliced kale leaves, stems removed
- 3 cups dry, seasoned bread stuffing cubes
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
Raisins and spicy chicken sausage add a sweet heat to this veggie-packed bread stuffing.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x9-inch baking dish (2-quart size).
Cook sausage in a large saucepan (3-4 quart) over medium-high heat breaking sausage into small pieces with a spoon. Cook until done. Remove sausage from saucepan, reserving any fat in pan.
Add olive oil to pan to make about 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Add water and kale. Bring to a high simmer and cook 3-4 minutes until kale is softened but still bright green, stirring as needed to immerse kale in the water.
Stir in bread cubes, raisins and cooked sausage. Mix in eggs until stuffing is evenly moistened. Turn into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes, uncovering for the last 15 minutes to make a crustier stuffing. Serve warm with poultry or meats.