Fruit and Spice Rolls
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package (1/4 oz.) quick-rise yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk heated to 120 to 130 F.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Zante Currants
- 1/4 cup Sun-Maid California Apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Sun-Maid Chopped Dates
- About 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for shaping dough
- 1 egg white, beaten with 2 tablespoons water
COMBINE 2-1/2 cups flour and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl or a stand mixer with a dough hook or paddle attachment.
ADD milk, egg and butter; stir or beat until smooth, 5 minutes by hand or 1 to 2 minutes with mixer.
ADD currants, apricots, dates and remaining 1/4 cup flour; mix until fruit is incorporated. Dough will be sticky. Turn out onto a floured work surface. Sprinkle top of dough with some flour. Cover with a dry towel and let rest 10 minutes.
PUNCH dough down. With floured hands gently shape into a mound; with a sharp knife, cut into 16 pieces and gently shape into balls. Place on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until puffy, 20 to 30 minutes.
BRUSH lightly with egg white mixture.
BAKE in preheated 375 F oven, 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown.