Fall Vegetable and Fruit Tagine
Dried fruits are a sweet surprise in this savory vegetarian dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 bag (7-ounces) Sun-Maid Mixed Fruit
- 1 can (15-ounces) garbanzo beans, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- Condiments: plain yogurt, chopped fresh mint, cilantro
HEAT oil in a large covered saucepan or skillet.
ADD onion and cumin.
COOK 2 to 3 minutes until onion is soft.
PEEL and cut squash into 1 to 2-inch pieces.
ADD squash, carrots, dried fruit, garbanzos, turmeric, salt and water to pan.
COVER and simmer 15 to 20 minutes over medium heat until vegetables are soft, adding additional water if needed.
STIR, breaking up some of the squash to make a slightly thickened stew.
Meanwhile, COOK couscous according to package directions.
SERVE tagine over hot couscous.
PASS yogurt, mint and cilantro for toppings.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 370; Protein 9g; Fat 3.5g (Sat. Fat 0.0g); Carbohydrate 75g; Dietary Fiber 10g; Cholesterol 0.0mg; Sodium 460mg