Crunchy Raisin Bread French Toast
Cholesterol-free French toast? Here it is â€“ enjoy! Raisin bread makes great French toast. The cereal coating adds a delightful crunch as well as whole-grain goodness. Plus, youâ€™ll jump-start your day with iron and vitamin B12 for healthy blood and nerve cells, and lots of fiber to fill you up.
- 3/4 cup egg substitute or 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole grain wheat and barley cereal or coarsely crushed bran flakes
- 8 slices Sun-Maid Raisin Bread
- Powdered sugar for topping (optional)
MIX egg substitute, milk, vanilla, powdered sugar and nutmeg in pie plate.
PLACE cereal in another pie plate.
SPRAY 12-inch nonstick skillet generously with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
DIP both sides of 4 slices of the bread in egg mixture, then in cereal.
COOK 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Repeat with remaining bread, egg mixture and cereal, spraying skillet each time.
SERVE topped with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per Serving (made with egg substitute): Calories 390; Protein 16g; Fat 3.3g (Sat. Fat 0.6g); Carbohydrate 80g; Dietary Fiber 8.3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 608mg
Daily Values: Iron 100%