Homemade granola is easy to make and is economical. Experiment with different dried fruits such as Sun-Maid Tart Cherries, sliced dried apricots, natural or golden raisins.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (about 1/3-inch wide strips)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pepitas* (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid Cape Cod Cranberries
PREHEAT oven to 350 F.
LINE a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray coated aluminum foil.
COMBINE oats, coconut, pecans, pepitas and cinnamon in a large bowl.
MIX brown sugar, water and canola oil in a small saucepan.
BRING to a boil; remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
POUR sugar over oats mixture and stir to evenly combine.
SPREAD on prepared pan.
BAKE 25 to 35 minutes until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
REMOVE from oven and stir in cranberries.
COOL completely on pan.
GRANOLA stays crisp in an airtight container for about 1 week.
*Available at most natural foods stores.
Makes about 7 cups.