Chicken and Dried Fruit Tagine
A fragrant blend of ginger, turmeric and cinnamon with dried apricots and dates bring Middle Eastern flavors to this dish. Mediterranean dried apricots make the dish sweeter, California dried apricot halves a little tangier. Serve over whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 6)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Pitted Dates, chopped
- Cooked rice or couscous
HEAT olive oil in a wide skillet. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning chicken until browned, 6-8 minutes; remove from pan and set aside.
ADD onion, garlic and ginger to pan. Cook on medium heat until softened, 2-3 minutes.
ADD turmeric and cinnamon. Stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Return chicken to pan. Add broth, apricots and dates. Bring to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through (165Â°F), about 15 minutes. Serve over hot couscous or rice.
Makes 6 servings.