California Fruited Rice
- 1 cup short or long grain brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Riesling or Chenin Blanc Wine, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid California Apricots, slivered
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid California Pitted Prunes, quartered
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
COMBINE rice, chicken stock, 1/2 cup wine, 1 tablespoon butter and salt in a 3-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
COMBINE apricots, prunes and remaining 1/2 cup wine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed.
MELT remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add celery, onions, basil and thyme. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
ADD celery mixture, fruits, walnuts and parsley to rice. Stir to combine.
HEAT briefly over low heat and serve immediately. Or, make up to 2 hours ahead; spoon into a buttered baking dish. Cover and heat in 325 F oven for 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.