Bowties with Tomato-Rosemary Currant Sauce
Sweet currants make ordinary pasta sauce extraordinary in this less-than-30 minute recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Zante Currants
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 package (12-ounces) bowtie or penne pasta, uncooked
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
HEAT oil in a wide skillet over medium heat.
ADD onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring often until very soft and golden brown.
STIR in honey.
ADD tomatoes with juice, currants, 2 tablespoons wine and rosemary.
BRING to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened (remove lid if needed to reduce liquid).
ADD remaining 2 tablespoons wine if desired for flavor.
Meanwhile, COOK pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 minutes of cooktime.
SERVE sauce over pasta and broccoli.
TOP with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 340; Protein 10g; Fat 3.5g (Sat. Fat .5g); Carbohydrate 67g; Dietary Fiber 6g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 190mg