BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups Romain lettuce leaves cut crosswise in 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cups diced cooked BBQ chicken
- 1 small bunch scallions, chopped
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, diced 1/4-inch
- 1/2 cup each Sun-Maid Natural Raisins and Golden Raisins, plumped in warm water for 1 minute and drained
- 3/4 cup Monterey pepper jack cheese, diced 1/4-inch
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 cup sour dough croutons (optional)
PREPARE dressing in small mixing bowl.
COMBINE shallot, mustard, sugar, vinegar and orange juice.
Slowly ADD the oil in a thin stream, whisking continuously.
SEASON with salt and pepper and set aside.
FILL large mixing bowl with lettuce.
ARRANGE chopped salad ingredients in sections on top of greens.
ADD the dressing at the table, and toss to coat all ingredients well.
SERVE on chilled plates.
Makes 6 servings.