Autumn Fruit Compote
- 1 medium orange
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 medium sweet apples, peeled, cored and each cut into 16 wedges
- 1 package (6 or 7 oz.) Sun-Maid Dried Halves or Mediterranean Apricots
- 1/2 cup (about 6 figs) Sun-Maid Calimyrna Figs
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins or Sun-Maid Tart Cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups water
- plain low-fat or Greek style yogurt (optional)
REMOVE the bright colored zest from the orange and lemon, using a vegetable peeler to make wide strips. Squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from the lemon.
COMBINE zest, lemon juice, apples, dried fruit, sugar, cinnamon stick and 3 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until apples are tender. Cool. Refrigerate in a non-metallic container at least 4 hours to blend flavors.
SERVE chilled or at room temperature, topped with yogurt if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 200; Protein 1g; Fat 0g (Sat. Fat 0g); Carbohydrate 50g; Dietary Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 5mg