Sweet and Tangy Spring Salad
Celebrate spring with a bowl of fresh salad greens topped with a shower of cheese and a splash of dressing made with bite-size pieces of dried fruit, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Fruit Bits or Sun-Maid Mixed Fruit cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium quartered and thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large head butter lettuce or spinach (about 6 cups torn leaves)
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese or feta or blue cheese
In small bowl, COMBINE water, lemon juice,
vinegar, mustard, sugar and salt; stir until blended.
ADD fruit bits and red onion; let marinate, stirring occasionally, while preparing remaining ingredients.
STIR in olive oil. Dressing can be made up to one day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
WASH and dry lettuce leaves; tear into bite-size pieces.
PLACE lettuce in four salad bowls. Sprinkle with cheese.
With slotted spoon, REMOVE fruits and onions from dressing and mound on lettuce, dividing evenly.
DRIZZLE with remaining dressing. Garnish with toasted baguette slices; brush slices with olive oil and rub with fresh garlic, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 385; Protein 7g; Fat 24g; Carbohydrates 36g; Dietary Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 17mg; Sodium 369mg