Heavenly Raisin Pavlova
Imagine a light and airy meringue base surrounding a soft, spongy center. Add a creamy, light filling laced with luscious liqueur-soaked raisins. Top with a blend of fresh fruits and more raisins. It's the perfect finale to a light spring meal. Believe us, it's worth the extra effort.
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1/3 cup fruit flavored liqueur or rum
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 carton (6-oz.) low-fat lemon yogurt
- 2/3 cup whipped cream (1/3 cup unwhipped), or
- frozen, thawed whipped topping
- 3 cups chopped, fresh fruit (such as kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, nectarines)
COMBINE raisins and liqueur; set aside while preparing meringue; stir occasionally;
To make pavlova:
HEAT oven to 275 F.
PLACE egg whites in large, clean mixing bowl.
BEAT on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until whites are opaque.
ADD cream of tartar; beat until mixture forms soft peaks.
BEAT in granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 8 minutes* to incorporate sugar.
BEAT in vanilla and vinegar.
REDUCE speed to low and gradually beat in powdered sugar. Stir down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for one minute. (Mixture should have increased in volume and be very stiff and glossy.)
LINE large baking sheet with parchment paper or plain brown paper bag cut to fit sheet.
MOUND mixture on sheet in circular shape. Press to eliminate any large air pockets. Circle should be about 7 inches across, and 3 inches high.
MAKE a depression in center (about 4 inches across and 1-1/2 to 2 inches deep) for filling.
PLACE in oven; reduce heat to 250 F and bake for 1-1/2 hours. Do not open oven.
TURN oven off, leave door ajar, and let dry in oven for 30 minutes.
VERY CAREFULLY REMOVE meringue from baking sheet and paper. Place on wire rack to cool. (Sides of meringue will crack; this is to be expected.)
To make filling:
Gently FOLD half of raisins (1/2 cup) and yogurt into whipped cream.
To make fruit topping:
COMBINE remaining raisins and liqueur with fruits.
Just before serving, spread whipped cream filling in center of pavlova. Top with fruit mixture. Cut into 10 wedge-shaped pieces.
* If using a hand-held mixer, use high speed and
double the beating time.
* If using a hand-held mixer, use high speed and double the beating time.
- For egg whites to foam properly, they must
be yolk-free; mixing bowl and beaters must be grease-free.
- Eggs separate best when cold. Egg whites whip best at room temperature. Set mixing bowl with whites in a larger bowl of hot water for a few minutes to warm.
- Meringue can be prepared up to 2 days ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Work in a cool, dry kitchen; meringues can be temperamental in humidity.
- Parchment paper is heavier than waxed paper and moisture resistant. Do not use waxed paper.
Nutrients per Serving (1 piece): Calories 250; Protein 4g; Fat 4g; Carbohydrate 50g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 50mg