Lemony Raisin Bars
- 2 cups Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
HEAT oven to 375° F.
In saucepan, COMBINE raisins, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon rind.
COOK and stir over medium heat just until bubbly. Cool slightly.
In bowl, COMBINE butter, brown sugar and vanilla; beat well.
ADD flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and walnuts.
RESERVE 2 cups oat mixture for topping.
PRESS remaining mixture into 13x9-inch greased pan.
SPREAD raisin mixture to within 1/2 inch of edges.
SPRINKLE with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
Makes 48 bars.