Lemony Raisin Bars
- 2 cups Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
HEAT oven to 375 F.
In saucepan, COMBINE raisins, sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon rind.
COOK and stir over medium heat just until bubbly. Cool slightly.
In bowl, COMBINE butter, brown sugar and vanilla; beat well.
ADD flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and walnuts.
RESERVE 2 cups oat mixture for topping.
PRESS remaining mixture into 13x9-inch greased pan.
SPREAD raisin mixture to within 1/2 inch of edges.
SPRINKLE with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
Makes 48 bars.