French Raisin Apple Pie
A crumb topping distinguishes French apple pie from other traditional pies.
Preparation time: About 20 minutes
Baking time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (4 to 6 medium) peeled, chopped tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie dough round or shell
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
HEAT oven to 425 F.
COMBINE raisins, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix with apples and lemon juice. If using pie dough, fit into 9-inch pan according to package directions.
POUR fruit into pie shell.
COMBINE remaining 3/4 cup flour, brown sugar and butter just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over raisin-apple mixture.
BAKE on lowest oven rack for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F and bake an additional 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 8 servings.
Variation: Apple Crumble
Prepare ingredients as for French Raisin Apple Pie, omitting the pie shell. Place fruit in a 9-inch pie pan or an 8 to 9 inch round or square pan. Sprinkle brown sugar crumb mixture over fruit. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until golden brown and fruit is bubbly. Serve warm or cold.