Curry Chicken with Carrots and Dates
Sweet dates and tangy yogurt balance the spicy curry in this dish. Delicious served over our Coconut Rice with Dates recipe for an extra savory dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 cups 1/4-inch thick carrot slices (3 to 4 carrots) or
- 2 cups baby carrots sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid Chopped Dates
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds (optional)
SAUTE onion and garlic 2 minutes or until softened.
STIR in curry and cook 30 seconds. Push onions to one side of pan.
ADD chicken and cook on high heat stirring once or twice until chicken begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
STIR in carrots and broth.
COVER and cook on medium heat 5 minutes or until chicken is done and carrots are tender.
MIX together the yogurt and cornstarch.
ADD to chicken, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Do not boil.
STIR in dates and parsley.
SEASON to taste with salt and pepper.
GARNISH with almonds and serve with rice or couscous.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrients per Serving: Calories 310; Protein 29g; Fat 9g (Sat. Fat 2g); Carbohydrate 28g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 70mg; Sodium 160mg