Festive Fruit and Nut Rice
Diced tomato, raisins, apricots and pine nuts add a festive flavor to this simple rice dish. Use brown rice if you prefer a chewier texture and a nutlike flavor. Serve with roasted meat or poultry.
- 1 cup long grain white or brown rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (or other chopped nuts)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 8 to 10 Sun-Maid California Apricots, sliced into thin strips (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
rice according to package directions, (omitting oil and salt). TOAST
pine nuts in a large skillet over medium heat, shaking pan frequently until pine nuts are golden brown. Add oil, onion and garlic and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. STIR
in tomato and cook until most of the moisture evaporates. Add cooked rice, raisins, apricots, pepper and salt to taste. Stir over low heat just until combined.
Makes 5 servings.