A meal-in-one, close the lid on these curry-flavored stuffed sandwich rolls for a quick portable lunch. Tuna or chicken...raisins or fruit bits. This easy, versatile recipe is sure to please.
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (optional)
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins or Fruit Bits
- 1/2 cup diced celery, or red or green bell pepper
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 12-ounce can or two 6-ounce cans tuna packed in water, drained, or 1-1/4 cups chopped cooked chicken (2 small chicken breasts)
- 6 small round or oval sandwich rolls
- Sun-Maid Natural Raisins, or Tart Cherries and Mixed Fruit for decorating
COMBINE mayonnaise, yogurt and curry powder in medium bowl. Add raisins or fruit bits, celery or bell pepper, and green onion. Stir in tuna or chicken.
CUT a 1/2-inch slice off the top of each roll. With fingers or a fork, pull out some of the soft center. (Reserve for breadcrumbs, if desired.) Fill hollow with about 1/2 cup sandwich filling and cover with top.
OPTIONAL: Decorate as a "car" or "teddy bear" with some of the ideas below. Use toothpicks to hold together until serving - remove toothpicks before eating.
WRAP sandwiches individually for lunch boxes or picnics and keep cool with icepacks.
Wheels - dried apricot with a raisin in the center
Wheel fenders - dried apple slices
Headlights - raisins or dried cherries
"Teddy Bear Face"
Ears - dried apricots
Eyes - raisins or dried cherries
Nose - prune
Mouth - dried apple slice
Makes 6 sandwiches.
Nutrients per Sandwich: Calories 220;
Protein 15g; Fat 2g; Carbohydrate 35g; Dietary Fiber 2g;
Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 475 mg