- 1-1/2 cups Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup strong coffee or water
- 1 cup grated apple (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
COMBINE raisins, sugar, coffee or water, apple and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. (Mixture should measure 2-3/4 to 3 cups total.)
COOL 10 minutes. (Do not omit this step)
PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
MIX flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in a small bowl. Add to raisin mixture in saucepan; stir well to combine. Add nuts.
POUR batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve slightly warm or cool, dusted with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 12 servings.