- 1 can (16-oz.) water-packed pitted red sour cherries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar , divided
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , divided
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
HEAT oven to 350° F.
DRAIN cherries, measuring liquid. Add water to liquid to
measure 2/3 cup.
MIX cherries, measured liquid, 3/4 cup of sugar,
tapioca, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, and raisins in the sauce pan. Let stand for
COOK, stirring constantly, on medium heat until mixture
comes to a full boil. Remove from heat.
STIR in nuts, lemon juice and butter. Pour into 2-quart
BEAT eggs, cream of tartar and remaining 1/8 teaspoon
salt in a medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually
add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and light in color. Fold in
SPOON onto warm fruit mixture.
BAKE 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center
of cake topping comes out clean and juices form bubbles that burst slowly.
Makes 8 servings.